Beef with Broccoli is probably my aunt’s favorite food to order whenever we eat at Chinese restaurants. So for her 60th birthday I attempted to make it at home. I based it from the taste of Classic Savory’s version and some recipe I found in the internet. Yield is 4-6 servings in a multi-course meal.
Beef with Broccoli
- 500 grams beef sirloin, cut thinly across the grain
- 500 grams broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small carrot, cut into thin disks
- 1 cup button mushrooms, halved
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 thin slices of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Vegetable oil for stir-frying
- Whisk together the oyster sauce, cooking wine, sesame oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar in a bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved. Put the beef in a bowl then pour the mixture over the meat. Stir to coat evenly and marinate for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Blanch the broccoli and carrots in a pot of boiling waiter for about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of ice-cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, and stir in the ginger and garlic. Let them sizzle in the hot oil for about 1 minute to flavor the oil, then remove and discard. Stir in the broccoli and toss for about 2 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the wok, and set aside.
- Pour a little more oil into the wok, if needed, and stir and toss the beef with the marinade until the sauce forms a glaze on the beef, and the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Return the broccoli, carrot, and mushrooms to the wok, and stir until the meat and broccoli are heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Make sure that the beef is sliced thinly. My mother asked her suki in the market to slice the beef and the results were not up to my standards. I had to adjust the cooking time because the beef slices were inconsistent.
- The on-line recipe recommended using dry sherry. I substituted Chinese cooking wine and I got great results.